The family of a 10-year-old girl who choked herself to death as part of a TikTok challenge is suing the video platform for negligence and having a ‘defective design.’
Nylah Anderson of Philadelphia was found unconscious in her mom’s bedroom closet on December 7.
She hung herself from a purse strap after seeing videos related to the ‘blackout challenge’ on the app’s ‘For You’ page, according to a lawsuit filed Thursday in federal court in Pennsylvania.
The challenge encourages users to asphyxiate themselves, pass out and regain consciousness on camera.
Nylah’s mother Tawainna says the company is to blame for her death because the content ‘was thrust in front of’ her.
‘I cannot stop replaying this day in my head,’ Tawainna said at a press conference Thursday. ‘The unbreakable bond in our family is now shattered and void.’
Last year, a 12-year-old boy died after using a shoelace to choke himself for the same challenge, his family says.
Click here to read more.
Source: Daily Mail