An 18-year-old man was killed when an explosion caused by a faulty natural gas system knocked the chimney off of the house and onto a car in suburban Boston.
Leonel Rondon was identified as the fatality. He was pronounced dead at Mass General Hospital at around 8:30pm, according to MassLive.com.
‘Mr. Rondon was inside a car near 35 Chickering Rd in Lawrence when a chimney from a house explosion fell on the car,’ the Essex County District Attorney’s Office said.
The explosion was one of several dozen blasts that rocked eastern Massachusetts on Thursday.
Bay State officials say there are up to 70 fires burning in Lawrence, Andover and North Andover after problems with the natural gas system.
Multiple people have been hurt, including one firefighter in Andover. Town officials said two civilians in Andover were also injured.
In Lawrence, at least four people were said to be undergoing treatment at Lawrence General Hospital, according to WHDH. A woman trapped in her house during the explosion suffered leg injuries, and a man in a car nearby was seriously injured by a falling chimney.
According to The Eagle Tribune, officials have alerted Holy Family Hospital in Methuen to expect multiple admissions.
The Massachusetts State Police said in a tweet on Thursday that residents in the affected areas who have gas service from Columbia Gas ‘should evacuate their homes immediately if they have not done so’.
They updated the tweet to say that Lawrence Mayor Dan Rivera is asking all residents of South Lawrence to evacuate their homes.
‘This is addition to evacuation of all Columbia Gas customers in Lawrence/Andover/North Andover,’ state police said. ‘Utility cos shutting off several thousand meters.’
Click here to read more.
Source: Daily Mail