Harvard Law Graduate Arrested in Strange California Kidnapping Case Police Originally Called a Hoax


A bizarre kidnapping case that police once called a hoax took yet another surprising turn Monday. The FBI issued a warrant for the arrest of a 38-year-old Harvard Law School graduate in connection with the case and a separate alleged home invasion that occurred last month.

In court documents unsealed Monday, the FBI said that there is probable cause to believe that Matthew D. Muller of Orangevale, Calif., kidnapped Denise Huskins from a Vallejo home on March 23.

At the time, her boyfriend Aaron Quinn told police that assailants entered the home in the early morning, drugged them and tied him up, and disappeared with Huskins. She appeared mysteriously days later in her hometown, unharmed after a person or persons claiming to be her kidnapper demanded thousands of dollars in ransom.

Vallejo Police said after Huskins reappeared that the situation was likely a hoax and that there was no evidence that there had even been a kidnapping.

Months later, the FBI’s statement on Muller’s arrest appears to vindicate Huskins and Quinn’s story.

According to law enforcement, Huskins and Quinn were awakened by a bright light around 3:00 a.m. that morning. A male voice ordered them to lie face down on the bed.

The subject or subjects ordered Huskins to tie Quinn’s hands behind his back and tie his legs, then covered Quinn’s eyes with swim goggles that had been covered with tape and placed headphones on his ears.

“The headphones were used to play a prerecorded message that provided instructions, indicated that the break-in was being performed by a professional group on-site to collect financial debts, and threatened that both victims would be hurt by electric shock or by cutting their faces if either of the two victims did not comply,” according to the FBI.

Police were initially suspicious of Quinn’s story because he did not contact authorities until nearly 2 p.m. that day.

According to the FBI, he said he had fallen asleep and woke up later and freed himself.

On March 25, two days later, Huskins was released unharmed.

On Monday, Huskins and Quinn appeared at a news conference with their lawyers, who assailed police for jumping to conclusions in the original case.

“Do your job, go out, find out if there are other guys, get them in custody as soon as possible and make sure that the next time this happens, they think before they talk,” said Dan Russ, an attorney representing Quinn. “We were confident they were telling the truth.”

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: The Washington Post
Abby Phillip

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *