UPDATE FROM IBNLIVE: At least 25 people were electrocuted after a high voltage electric wire fell on a passenger bus in Pachewar area of Tonk district of Rajasthan on Friday.
Incident took place when a wedding party of 50 people was travelling in the bus. 18 people died on the spot while the remaining succumbed to their injuries while they were being rushed to hospital.
An electrical wire fell on a bus carrying people to a wedding in western India on Friday, killing at least 17, a local official said.
Government official Rekha Gupta said the bus was carrying more than 50 people to the wedding in Rajasthan state’s Tonk district. The bride and bridegroom were not on board, he said.
At least 23 others were injured and taken to a hospital.
Few other details were immediately available.
India’s power transmission infrastructure is often poorly maintained and electrical cables sometimes fall, electrocuting nearby people.