Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott has announced a review into the background and security checks on the man behind the Sydney cafe siege.
Mr Abbott said questions must be asked about how Man Haron Monis was not on a watch list despite a history of violence and mental instability.
Monis died along with two hostages on Tuesday when police raided the cafe he had taken over in the centre of Sydney.
He was facing charges of sexual assault and being an accessory to murder.
Monis had a history of religiously motivated activism and called himself a cleric, but officials have said there is as yet no evidence his actions were linked to international Islamist militant networks, despite his use of a flag with the Islamic creed on it during the siege.
New South Wales Police Commissioner Andrew Scipione said earlier that the separate investigation into the actions of police officers was well advanced, but that he believed officers made “absolutely the right call” in storming the Lindt Chocolat cafe in Martin Place.