San Francisco 49ers Release Ray McDonald Amid Sexual Assault Investigation

Ray McDonald #91 of the San Francisco 49ers at AT&T Stadium on September 7, 2014 in Arlington, Texas. (Ronald Martinez/Getty Images North America)
Ray McDonald #91 of the San Francisco 49ers at AT&T Stadium on September 7, 2014 in Arlington, Texas. (Ronald Martinez/Getty Images North America)

The San Francisco 49ers announced Wednesday that they have released defensive lineman Ray McDonald.

“This is about a pattern of poor behavior,” 49ers general manager Trent Baalke said Wednesday. “We expect a lot from our players, hold them accountable for their actions.”

Earlier in the day, local law authorities said they were investigating McDonald on suspicion of sexual assault.

San Jose Police Department Sgt. Heather Randol said an area hospital notified police late Tuesday night that a woman was seeking treatment and that detectives had searched McDonald’s San Jose home.

“The victim alleged she was possibly sexually assaulted a day prior,” Randol said. “Based on preliminary investigation, detectives secured a search warrant and served it at the alleged suspect’s residence in San Jose.”

No arrests have been made, nor have charges been filed.

Baalke said that CEO Jed York and coach Jim Harbaugh were involved in the decision to release McDonald. The 49ers notified the NFL office of the allegations against the defensive lineman, Baalke said, adding, “This is a team decision.”

“It’s not a situation you want to hear about. Very unfortunate,” quarterback Colin Kaepernick said. “He’s a good friend to a lot of people on this team. No one thought bad of him. Hopefully it’s just a misunderstanding. … I understand why the team did what it did. Other than that, it’s not my business.”

Click here to read more.

SOURCE: ESPN

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *