Romans 5:12: “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.”
In our previous lessons, we saw how sin came into the world. First, Satan rebelled against God and set up a kingdom opposed to God. Then Adam, when he was tempted, also rebelled against God.
Satan said, I will, and set his will against God’s will. Then Adam said in his heart, “I will” and set his will against the will of God.
Adam’s sin affected each part of his being — spirit, soul, and body. Adam’s spirit was cut off from God’s life. His soul was affected by sin. His body became subject to physical death because “the wages of sin is death.”
In this lesson we are going to see the awful consequences of Adam’s sin upon the human race. We will see MAN’S COMPLETE RUIN IN SIN.
Why should we worry about Adam and what happened to him? The reason is this: Adam was the head of the human race — he was the first man. Since Adam was the head of the human family, what happened to him affected the whole human family, and it affected you and me. God did not create millions of people to populate the earth. He created only one man Adam. From this one man came all human life. Thus God sees the whole human race as being IN ADAM.
How did we get into Adam? By birth! All who are born into the human family are IN ADAM.
What does it mean to be in Adam? To be in Adam means to share in all that Adam was and all that he did. Certain things are true of every person in Adam. Here are five of them:
1. He is separated from the life of God.
2. He is in the kingdom of darkness.
3. He is a sinner.
4. He is under the power of sin.
5. He is condemned to death.
Now we are going to consider each of these five things and see how they came about.
1. Adam’s Sin Separated Men from the Life of God. To be separated from the life of God is to be spiritually dead. God told Adam that when he ate of the fruit that had been forbidden to him, he would “surely die.” Adam’s sin resulted in spiritual death, not only for himself, but also for the entire human race. All men became separated from the life of God. Why? Because all men are IN ADAM.
2. Adam’s Sin Brought the Human Race into the Kingdom of Darkness. When Adam rebelled against God, he took sides with Satan, the first rebel. He came into the kingdom of darkness, of which Satan is ruler. Thus Adam came under the power of Satan. Since Adam was the head of the human race, he took the whole human race into the kingdom of darkness.
3. Adam’s Sin Resulted in a Race of Sinners. As created by God, Adam was a God-centered man. He loved God and wanted to do God’s will. God was king upon the throne of his heart. After Adam sinned, a change took place in his heart. Instead of loving God and wanting to do His will, Adam now loved himself and wanted to do his own will. God no longer reigned as king in his heart. Instead, Self was upon the throne of his heart. Adam now had a sinful nature.
Adam passed his sinful, self-centered nature on to his children. The Bible says that Adam had a son “in his own likeness, after his image.” Adam himself had been created in the image of God, but he produced a son in his own sinful image.
The rebellion of Cain — one of Adam’s sons — was shown when he refused to worship God in the way which God had appointed. He wanted to worship God in his own way. Later on Cain manifested his sinful nature further in murdering his own brother.
But the effects of Adam’s sin did not stop with his own children. Adam was the head of the entire human family, and he passed his sinful nature on to the whole human race. Adam’s disobedience resulted in a race of sinners. The Bible says, “… by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners….”
4. Adam’s Sin Brought All Men under the Power of Sin. Because men are sinners, they are under the power of sin. The Bible says, “Whoever commits sin is the servant (slave) of sin.” In the kingdom of darkness, sin reigns as a king and all men who are in this kingdom are under its power.
5. Adam’s Sin brought Death and Condemnation into the Human Race. Sin entered the world through one man—Adam, and death came as a result of sin. The Bible says, “Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned.”
Adam’s single act of disobedience brought a great curse upon all of the human race that is still in effect today. In our next lesson, we will look further at the ultimate consequences of this curse as well as the solution which God put in place to remove this curse from those who choose to believe in Him.
– – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – – –
If you do not know Jesus Christ as your Saviour, John 3:16 states, “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life.”
The Bible also says in Romans 10:9 and 13: “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved…. For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.”
If you believe that Jesus Christ died on the cross for your sins, was buried, and rose from the dead, and you want to trust Him for your salvation today, please pray with me this simple prayer: Holy Father God, I realize that I am a sinner and that I have done some bad things in my life. I am sorry for my sins, and I want to turn from my sins. For Jesus Christ sake, please forgive me of my sins. I now believe with all of my heart that Jesus Christ died for me, was buried, and rose again. I trust Him as my Savior and follow Him as Lord from this day forward. Lord Jesus, please come into my heart and save my soul and change my life today. Amen.
If you just trusted Jesus Christ as your Saviour, and you prayed that prayer and meant it from your heart, I declare to you that based upon the Word of God, you are now saved from Hell and you are on your way to Heaven. Welcome to the family of God! I want to congratulate you on doing the most important thing in life and that is receiving Jesus Christ as your Lord and Saviour. For more information to help you grow in your newfound faith in Christ, go to Gospel Light Society.com and read “What To Do After You Enter Through the Door”. Jesus Christ said in John 10:9, “I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture.”
Until next time, May the Lord Bless You!
Daniel Whyte III has spoken in meetings across the United States and in over twenty-five foreign countries. He is the author of over forty books. He is also the president of Gospel Light Society International, a worldwide evangelistic ministry that reaches thousands with the Gospel each week, as well as president of Torch Ministries International, a Christian literature ministry which publishes a monthly magazine called The Torch Leader. He is heard by thousands each week on his radio broadcasts/podcasts, which include: The Prayer Motivator Devotional, The Prayer Motivator Minute, as well as Gospel Light Minute X, the Gospel Light Minute, the Sunday Evening Evangelistic Message, the Prophet Daniel’s Report, the Second Coming Watch Update and the Soul-Winning Motivator, among others. He holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Theology from Bethany Divinity College, a Bachelor’s degree in Religion from Texas Wesleyan University, a Master’s degree in Religion, a Master of Divinity degree, and a Master of Theology degree from Liberty Baptist Theological Seminary. He has been married to the former Meriqua Althea Dixon, of Christiana, Jamaica for over twenty-seven years. God has blessed their union with seven children. Find out more at www.danielwhyte3.com. Follow Daniel Whyte III on Twitter @prophetdaniel3 or on Facebook.