The Egyptian Foreign Ministry on Saturday confirmed the killing of an Egyptian Christian by unidentified militants in the eastern Libyan city of Benghazi.
In a statement, ministry spokesman Badr Abdel-Ati said the Coptic man, Jad Abdel Maseih, was killed in an attack by militants on a vegetables store in Benghazi.
The spokesman said that the Egyptian embassy in Libya follows the event closely and that it had contacted Libyan official to demand the arrest of the attackers.
The ministry renewed warnings for Egyptians against travelling to Libya and called on Egyptian nationals in the restive Arab country to practice “maximum” caution.
Libyan sources said earlier that an Egyptian Christian had been found dead in Benghazi.
The Christian man was found dead in al-Qawarsha district on Benghazi outskirts, a security source said.
The source said that “criminal” motives might be behind the killing.
Last month, seven Egyptian Christians were found dead in Libya.
Libya has been struggling to restore order more than two years after the ouster of late strongman Muammar Gaddafi.
SOURCE: Anadolu Agency